Friday, April 9, 2010

Do You Trust Your Doctor?

I had the unfortunate opportunity of seeing my primary care physician a couple of days ago. I am seen at a "teaching hospital", a not for profit urban hospital in the heart of this city's worst crime ridden neighborhood. I went for the purpose of sever abdominal bloating, looking and feeling as though I'm nine months pregnant (nah, not gonna happen, I've been sterile fore fifteen years following radiation "therapy" for cervical cancer). My first encounter was with a medica assistant who complained to anyone who would listen that she was again working with my doctor. She weighed me (I won't divulge the number) but realized I had not weighed that much since I was pregnant nearly 34 years ago. My blood pressure reading was even more frightening; 179/98. Okay, I thought. I'll ask the doctor. He appeared soon after and was more concerned over the fact that his medical records computer was not working than me. He asked me my chief complaint, and I explained. He did some poking and proding and did explain he might have felt an abdominal mass, but at the same time told me my lungs sounded fine, which I find hard to believe since I have chronic bronchitis and cough and wheeze all the time. He flippantly expressed the opinion that I could indeed have colon cancer, but let's order some tests. Blood work, colonoscopy,etc. he also ordered a bone density test and mammogram, since I was post menopausal. I fail to undestand the logic in this since I have been seeing this same doctor for over 5 years, and now, all of a sudden, he's ordered this when he never had before. And then I looked out of the corner of my eye and saw laying on top of my chart a copy of my MEDICARE card. he thenproceeded to question me repeatedly if I was diabetic (never have been, but I think he was seeing dollar signs). He blew off my blood pressure reading to the fact that the MA had used "the machine"(???) and left it at that. Anyway, I'm off to do all the follow up appointments which in this hospital's case will take a month to complete. More info when I have something new.

2 comments:

  1. $$$$$$$$! Suddenly, now with Medicare, you count? From the description I wouldn't trust this guy either.

    Don't let the BP slide. I'm willing to bet you can get it checked for either free or a very modest amount, Medicare or no. Up here we have Minit Clinics, located within Target or CVS Pharmacy stores, and similar outfits that do just minimal medical services like shots and throat cultures. Check out what's available down there. Have a person do it, not a machine. It can get high under stress, so you need to find out what's normal. Keep an eye on it and insist it gets treated if it stays high like that. Diuretics - the usual 1st treatment - are cheap in generic form, and few side effects. (Mostly you pee a lot. I've been taking them for years.) Don't risk kidney failure or stroke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just get the hell better we all need you, Gene, me, Heather, keep writing, and let us know what is going on, and remember we are in your corner.

    ReplyDelete