Monday, May 10, 2010

Quality vs. Quantity

With the status of my health being what it is, I have come to realize that there are decisions I need to make. Fifteen years ago I was told by a radiation oncology doctor that "it's gonna come back and get you right there", pointing to my pelvic area since I was diagnosed with stage three cervical cancer. But then chided that "20 years from now you'll be here thanking me with a bag tied to your leg". He meant colostomy bag. So with what I am experiencing now, he was right, he just missed it by five years. I need to make tough choices with my next set of appointments; to let this "thing" run it's course or prolong it with artifical hope. I have always been a fan of quality of life far outweighs quantity of life. I have no desire to prolong my life with the chance of making myself and those around me miserable. I think I have already made up my mind about the choice I will make; but time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. If the only consideration is the colostomy bag, I had a friend years ago who had one, was divorced because her jerkwad of a hubby couldn't tolerate it, and was just starting to date again. She found a really nice guy who reacted to it with interest in how it worked and how she felt, and they had a perfectly wonderful affair until he had a nasty motorcycle accident. The fatal kind.

    What I'm trying to tell you is it may mar quality of life a bit, but it doesn't have to ruin it. Don't let that be your only reason for making your choice. Quality of life also includes friends, lovers, enjoying birds at the feeder, watching a rip-snorting thunderstorm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you choose to do it up to you but you need to know that whatever choice you make, you are loved and supported. Tell the old man that there isn't a day goes by that he isn't thought about and realize that the same holds true for you. What I am trying very badly to say is that no matter your decision we are there for you. love ya.Steve

    ReplyDelete